The history of the reserve can be traced back a long time, to 1895 in fact, when President Paul Kruger proclaimed the valley as a game sanctuary, the first on the African continent. In 1994 the reserve became the responsibility of the nature conservation and resorts section of the City Of Tshwane Municipality. In 1999 game was reintroduced into the reserve. This included Impala, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest and Ostrich. These were added to in 2002 by the introduction of Giraffe and Red Hartebeest. Sable antelope were reintroduced in 2003.
The reserve caters for a number of sporting and recreational pursuits including Hiking, Mountain Biking, a Motorcar interpretive route and a 4 x 4 route. The reserve also has a youth camp that can accommodate 30-50 children.
The reserve is situated 5km from the city centre. It has a network of three hiking trails, 4km (white route), 3,5km (red route), 10,5km (yellow route). A 20km mountain bike route is available (helmets are compulsory) and also there is a 14km 4x4 route and a 6km auto interpretive route. A beautiful parking and braai area is provided under tall trees. Provide your own wood and charcoal.
Tel: +27 (0) 12 440 8316/ +27 (0) 12 341 059
Summer (Sept-April) 05.30-19.00
Winter (may- Aug) 07.00-18.001