- Address Kgosi Mampuru Street (old Potgieter Street), Pretoria Central.
- Fax +27 12 323 4441
Visit the Department of Correctional Services Museum and gaze at life inside the walls of Pretoria Prison. The images below give a glimpse of life in those days.
The first prison building in Pretoria was built by Alexander Anderson at the corner of the present Pretorius- and Paul Kruger streets, behind the previous Raadsaal on Church Square. He was sentenced to 12 months hard labour and the bargain was, if he built this prison he would be pardoned. He built it in record time and as such was not very strong and safe.
The second prison was built in 1873, at the corner of the present Bosman and Visagie streets. The western wall was next to Potgieter street. Houses were built for the wardens. The gallows were in the garden and open to the public. Executions were done on Saturdays for everyone to see. The prison building was not strong enough and several escapes happened.
The museum building was at first the house of the Manager of Prison Services in the early 1900s.
Contact Person: Maria – 078 489 9450